This pandemic feels like the final instalment of the Lord of the Rings movies. You know the end is coming, but it is taking way too long to get there. On the upside, friends and loved ones are starting to get their vaccines, so I look forward to hugging some of y’all very soon!
In Author-ish News
I’m so excited! The Checklist was listed in Bookish’s round-up of 21 Debut Novels to Have on Your 2021 TBR. Pretty sure this is the first place to list my novel and I about had a heart attack when I saw it. A big thank you to Kelly Gallucci and the team over there for including my book along with some other really exciting, up and coming authors! (You can’t tell me that Dead Dead Girls and Fat Chance, Charlie Vega don’t look amazing. I won’t hear it!).
If you want to get your copy of The Checklist, it is now available for pre-order! Pick up a copy through Bookshop.org, Amazon, or just about anywhere else books are sold.
Also, The Checklist is on Goodreads as a giveaway this month! If you want a chance to win a free copy, enter here.
In other book news, Book Two aka Neale’s story officially has a release date, October 26, 2021 and…a title, The Bounce Back! I got a peek at my cover and I’m massively in love with it. Can’t wait for y’all to see it!
What I’m Reading
- A Libertarian Walks into a Bear, Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling – Weird and whimsical look at what happened to one town when libertarians took over. This reminded me of the Ballad of the Whiskey Robber in terms of tone.
- House of Scepters, Anne Zoelle – I’m picky about my fantasy series, but I staid up well past 1 AM reading the first in her House of Scepters Series. Its THAT good! Also, she is an awesome human!
- A Deadly Inside Scoop, Abby Collette – If cozies are your jam, this is a sweet one! (See what I did there? Because it is set in a small town ice cream shop.) Features a diverse and fun cast, plus descriptions of ice cream that will make you hungry. I listened to the audio book and if you need a pallet cleanser this is the way to go. (Puns! Can’t stop. Won’t stop.)
This and That
- I enjoyed this short documentary, Signing Black in America, on Black American Sign Language. If you are unfamiliar, signing has dialects and this film explores the intersectionality of being Black and deaf.
- This vegan chocolate cake recipe from Dessert for Two. That’s right, I still haven’t purchased eggs, and with this recipe, you don’t even miss ’em! If you aren’t into sugar sweet, I recommend cutting the powdered sugar in the butter cream. Also, you can make this in an regular cake pan, just cut the bake time to about 20 minutes.
- I’m obsessed with Brand New Day choreographed by James Alonzo, set to the music of The Wiz aka the movie I used to watch anytime I was home sick as a kid. It will bring you ALL THE JOY! (Side note, I watched this video 70 zillion times when they called the US Presidential Election. YouTube goes right to it as soon as I open up the website at this point. LOL!)
- Finally, I’m delighted by this quirky French butter maker!
What I’m Seeing
I’m lowkey obsessed with my Mary Berry cookbook…even when I have to do all the metric and centigrade conversions so that I can actually bake with it.